Monday, March 3, 2008

Bob Tuke's Letter

I checked my Facebook account this morning and here's what I found:

"Dear friends,

As some of you know, I have decided to run for the US Senate against Lamar Alexander.

I will bring the energy, focus, purpose and determination of a Marine to this campaign and to my service in the United States Senate.

I am not so much offering myself as a candidate as I again am answering a call to service. America is in crisis. Our economy is in trouble, our schools are struggling to excel, our health care system leaves millions uncovered, and there are parts of Tennessee where the good paying jobs of the future are just a mirage. And in too many places, the cold wind of hunger and poverty whistle through open doors of despair.

Perhaps most critically, we find ourselves in two wars, with enemies lying in wait at home and abroad. Veterans return from war to heal their bodies and their minds only to find a broken system that leaves them without care. I fought in Vietnam as a Marine officer, and I cared for my Marines. I understand the rigors of war and the responsibility of our government to wage it properly and to care for those who fight it and for their families.

My wife Susan and I have built our lives in Tennessee and have been married for nearly 39 years. We raised our children Andrew (27) and Sarah (24) in the traditions of faith, service to country and belief in the ideals of the Democratic Party.

I hope you will support me in this effort as you supported me when I was your Party Chairman.

Thank you and Semper Fi,

Bob Tuke
Tuke for Tennessee
222 Fourth Ave. No.
Nashville, TN 37219
615-256-8585
rtuke@tntlaw.net"

Good! I know Lamar is a huge favorite in this race, but he shouldn't get another term in the US Senate by default. And it does give me a good Democrat to vote for after months of thinking there wouldn't be one on the ballot.

UPDATE: Former Knox County Clerk Mike Padgett has his hat in the ring now too.

No comments: