Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sharon Gentry For School Board!

I got some exciting news today when checking my email - Sharon Gentry is running for the District 1 Metro Nashville Public Schools Board seat. She will face incumbent George H. Thompson III and two other challengers in the Aug. 7 county general election.

I'll happily and proudly admit my bias upfront - Sharon is the wife of former Nashville Vice Mayor Howard Gentry, who I was honored to work for in his 2007 campaign for mayor. I've known both for several years and I feel very blessed to know them.

She recently completed her doctorate in education at Tennessee State University. On a more personal note, in addition to being one of the most intelligent and articulate persons I've ever met, Dr. Gentry has the integrity, compassion and drive to do a great deal for our schools.

I regret that I don't live in District 1 or she'd have my vote already; I encourage voters there to cast their ballot for someone I strongly believe will take our school district forward. The Gentrys have a young daughter in Nashville's public school system right now and so do my wife and I. I know they'll both be better off with Dr. Gentry on the board.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is good news but this is surprising because she is to my knowledge 6 months pregnant. The Gentry's are both smart and good people.

Evans Donnell said...

I don't know that it's surprising because she's pregnant. After all, there are plenty of women who carry on very busy lives in the public sector while expecting, and raising, children. But I will agree with you that it's good news she's running and that they're smart and good people. Thanks for commenting!