Thursday, April 30, 2009

LaLonde Wins District 18 Seat

I came out of a play presented by Asolo Repertory Theatre in Sarasota, FL, turned on my cell phone and found out that Kristine LaLonde is the newest member of Metro Council.

Kristine's margin of victory increased in the runoff win over Stephenie Dodson from her March 26 tally. It's a no-brainer looking at the numbers to say that both times she was the clear choice of voters in District 18 -- though I'll never understand why so few residents turn out for these races when we're electing the representative that may have more to do with our everyday lives (traffic, parking, zoning, etc.) than any other political office, no matter who wins.

I strongly supported Stephenie, and I'm proud to have voted for her and to call her my friend. But I'm no Rush Limbaugh. Kristine is our new district councilmember and I want her to succeed. I wish her all the best as she prepares to take office.

No comments: